- The definition of a victim is a person who has had something bad happen to him.
- An example of a victim is a person who was killed or robbed or otherwise had a crime committed against him.
- An example of a victim is a person who was cheated out of money by a scam.
victim definition by Webster's New World
- a person or animal killed as a sacrifice to a god in a religious rite
- someone or something killed, destroyed, injured, or otherwise harmed by, or suffering from, some act, condition, or circumstance: victims of war
- a person who suffers some loss, esp. by being swindled
Origin: Classical Latin victima, victim, beast for sacrifice ; from Indo-European base an unverified form weik-, to separate from source Old English wig, idol, wicce, witch
- victimhood noun
victim definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging.
- A living creature slain and offered as a sacrifice during a religious rite.
- One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act, circumstance, agency, or condition: victims of war.
- A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking: You are a victim of your own scheming.
- A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of: the victim of a cruel hoax.
Origin: Latin victima.
- vicˈtim·hoodˌ noun