- The definition of criminal is someone or something related to the commission of a crime.
An example of criminal is an activity where money is stolen.
- A criminal is defined as a person who has done something illegal.
An example of a criminal is a bank robber.
criminal definition by Webster's New World
- having the nature of crime; being a crime
- involving or relating to crime
- dealing with law cases involving crime
- guilty of crime
- Informal regrettable or deplorable
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French criminel ; from Classical Latin criminalis ; from crimen: see crime
- criminally adverb
criminal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, involving, or having the nature of crime: criminal abuse.
- Relating to the administration of penal law.
- a. Guilty of crime.b. Characteristic of a criminal.
- Shameful; disgraceful: a criminal waste of talent.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French criminel, from Late Latin crīminālis, from Latin crīmen, crīmin-, accusation; see crime.
- crimˈi·nal·ly adverb
criminal - Legal Definition
- One who has committed a crime.
- One who has been convicted of a crime.
- Constituting, implying, or involving a crime or an element of a crime.
- Pertaining to some aspect of the penal code or its administration.