- The definition of criminal is someone or something related to the commission of a crime.
An example of criminal is an activity where money is stolen.
- A criminal is defined as a person who has done something illegal.
An example of a criminal is a bank robber.
- having the nature of crime; being a crime
- involving or relating to crime
- dealing with law cases involving crime
- guilty of crime
- Informal regrettable or deplorable
Origin of criminalMiddle English ; from Old French criminel ; from Classical Latin criminalis ; from crimen: see crime
- Of, involving, or having the nature of crime: criminal abuse.
- Relating to the administration of penal law.
- a. Guilty of crime.b. Characteristic of a criminal.
- Shameful; disgraceful: a criminal waste of talent.
Origin of criminalMiddle English, from Old French criminel, from Late Latin cr&imacron;minalis, from Latin cr&imacron;men, cr&imacron;min-, accusation; see crime.
(comparative more criminal, superlative most criminal)
- Being against the law; forbidden by law.
- Guilty of breaking the law.
- Of or relating to crime or penal law.
- His long criminal record suggests that he is a dangerous man.
- (figuratively) Abhorrent or very undesirable, even if allowed by law.
- Printing such asinine opinions without rebuttal is criminal, even when not libel!
- Nouns to which "criminal" is often applied: law, justice, court, procedure, prosecution, intent, case, record, act, action, behavior, code, offence, liability, investigation, conduct, defense, trial, history, responsibility, lawyer, tribunal, appeal, process, background, mind, conspiracy, evidence, gang, organization, underworld, jurisprudence, offender, jury, police, past, group, punishment, attorney, violence, report, career, psychology.
- A person who is guilty of a crime, notably breaking the law.
criminal - Legal Definition
- One who has committed a crime.
- One who has been convicted of a crime.
- Constituting, implying, or involving a crime or an element of a crime.
- Pertaining to some aspect of the penal code or its administration.