- The definition of a miscreant is an evil person or a person who behaves badly, gets into trouble and breaks the law.
A troublemaker who is always getting arrested is an example of a miscreant.
- villainous; evil
- Archaic unbelieving or heretical
Origin of miscreantOld French unbelieving ; from mes- (see mis-) + creant, present participle of croire, to believe ; from Classical Latin credere: see creed
- an evil person; criminal; villain
- Archaic an unbeliever or heretic
- One who behaves badly, often by breaking rules of conduct or the law.
- Archaic One who does not believe in a certain religion; an infidel or heretic.
Origin of miscreantMiddle English miscreaunt, heretic, from Old French mescreant, present participle of mescroire, to disbelieve : mes-, wrongly, not; see mis–1 + croire, to believe (from Latin crēdere; see kerd- in Indo-European roots).
(comparative more miscreant, superlative most miscreant)
From Old French mescreant (1080) "mis-believer", present participle of mescroire "to misbelieve" (modern mécroire).