- The definition of an infidel is a person who you consider a heathen because he does not adhere to the religion you believe is the true religion.
When someone does not conform to your religious beliefs, this is an example of someone you might consider an infidel.
infidel definition by Webster's New World
- a person who does not believe in a particular religion, esp. the prevailing religion; specif.,
- among Christians, a non-Christian
- among Muslims, a non-Muslim
- a person who holds no religious belief
- a person who does not accept some particular theory, belief, etc.
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French infidèle ; from Classical Latin infidelis, unfaithful (in Ecclesiastical Late Latin unbelieving) ; from in-, in- plush fidelis: see fidelity
- that is an infidel; unbelieving
- of infidels
infidel definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Offensive An unbeliever with respect to a particular religion, especially Christianity or Islam.
- One who has no religious beliefs.
- One who doubts or rejects a particular doctrine, system, or principle.
Origin: Middle English infidele, from Old French, from Latin īnfidēlis, disloyal : in-, not; see in-1 + fidēlis, faithful (from fidēs, faith; see bheidh- in Indo-European roots).