- the land of a farm nearest the farmhouse
- the square area enclosed by the four base lines on a baseball field
- the infielders collectively, or the area covered by them
- ☆ the area inside a racetrack or running track: field events of a track meet are often held on it
Origin: in, + field
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Baseball a. The area of the field bounded by home plate and first, second, and third bases.b. The defensive positions of first base, second base, third base, and shortstop considered as a unit.
- The area inside a racetrack or running track.
- A field located near a farmhouse.