Cows grazing in a large pasture.
- The definition of a pasture is a large area of grassy flat land where it is appropriate to keep livestock, or is a new horizon for you to explore that may offer new opportunities.
- A large grassy field where cows graze on grass is an example of a pasture.
- The grass that cows eat on a large grassy field is an example of pasture.
- When you are given an exciting new job that presents may opportunities for promotion, this is an example of a time when you might be said to be leaving your job for greener pastures.
- To pasture is to put livestock into a field to graze, or to retire an old horse.
If you own an old race horse who is no longer able to race and you send him to live on a grassy field, this is an example of a time when you pasture.
- grass or other growing plants used as food by grazing animals
- ground suitable for grazing
- a field, plot, etc. set aside for this
Origin of pastureOld French from Late Latin pastura from Classical Latin pascere, to feed: see food
transitive verb-·tured, -·tur·ing
- to put (cattle, etc.) out to graze in a pasture
- to graze or feed on (grass, etc.)
put out to pasture
- to put in a pasture to graze
- to allow or compel to retire from work
- a. A tract of land that supports grass or other vegetation eaten by domestic grazing animals.b. Such vegetation, especially that eaten by domestic grazing animals.
- The feeding or grazing of animals.
verbpas·tured, pas·tur·ing, pas·tures
- To herd (animals) into a pasture to graze.
- To provide (animals) with pasturage. Used of land.
- a. To graze on (land or vegetation).b. To use (land) as pasture.
Origin of pastureMiddle English from Old French from Late Latin pāstūra from Latin pāstus past participle of pāscere to feed ; see pā- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present pastures, present participle pasturing, simple past and past participle pastured)
- To move animals into a pasture to graze.
- (intransitive) To graze.
- To feed, especially on growing grass; to supply grass as food for.
- The farmer pastures fifty oxen; the land will pasture forty cows.