- The definition of a graze is a small scrape or scratch.
An example of a graze is a scrape that barely breaks the skin.
- Graze is defined as to eat small portions, or for farm animals to feed on grass in a pasture.
- An example of graze is eating small snacks all day instead of eating meals.
- An example of graze is cows eating grass in a field.
- Graze means to touch or rub lightly.
An example of graze is lightly touching fabric while walking through a fabric store.
A pair of grazing horses.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to feed on (growing grass, herbage, a pasture, etc.)
- to put livestock to feed on (growing grass, herbage, etc.)
- to tend (feeding livestock)
- to feed on the pasturage of (land)
Origin: Middle English grasen from Old English grasian from base of græs, gærs, grass
- to feed on growing grass, etc.
- to snack all day instead of eating regular meals
- to eat small portions of different foods, as appetizers or samples of entrees
- grazer noun
- to touch or rub lightly in passing
- to scrape or scratch in passing: a bullet grazed his thigh
Origin: prob. from graze inch(es) sense “to come close to the grass”
- the act of grazing
- a slight scratch or scrape caused by grazing
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb grazed grazed, graz·ing, graz·es verb, intransitive
- To feed on growing grasses and herbage.
- Informal a. To eat a variety of appetizers as a full meal.b. To eat snacks throughout the day in place of full meals.
- To feed on (herbage) in a field or on pastureland.
- To feed on the herbage of (a piece of land).
- To afford herbage for the feeding of: This field will graze 30 head of cattle.
- To put (livestock) out to feed.
- To tend (feeding livestock) in a pasture.
Origin: Middle English grasen, from Old English grasian, from grǽs, grass; see ghrē- in Indo-European roots.
- grazeˈa·ble, grazˈa·ble adjective
- grazˈer noun
verb grazed grazed, graz·ing, graz·es verb, transitive
- To touch lightly in passing; brush. See Synonyms at brush1.
- To scrape or scratch slightly; abrade.
- The act of brushing or scraping along a surface.
- A minor scratch or abrasion.
Origin: Perhaps from graze1.