- Shave is defined as to cut thin slices, remove hair from the surface of the skin, or cut very short.
- An example of shave is grating chocolate over a cream pie.
- An example of shave is using a razor to remove the hair on your legs.
- An example of shave is using hair clippers to cut the hair on the back of your neck very short.
A woman shaves her legs.
shave definition by Webster's New World
- to cut or scrape away a thin slice or slices from: to shave the edge of a door
- to cut or scrape into thin sections or slices: shaved ham
- to cut off (hair, esp. the beard) at the surface of the skin: often with off or away
- to cut the hair to the surface of: to shave the chin, the legs, etc.
- to cut the beard of (a person)
- to barely touch or just miss touching in passing; graze
- to cut short or trim (grass, etc.) closely
- ☆ to discount (a note, bill, etc.) by more than the legal or customary rate
- ☆ Informal to lower (a price, rate, etc.) by a slight margin
Origin: Middle English schaven ; from Old English sceafan, akin to German schaben ; from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)kab-, to cut from source Classical Latin scabere, to shave
- a tool used for cutting thin slices, as of wood, from a surface
- something shaved or sliced off; shaving
- the act or an instance of shaving the beard
shave definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb shaved shaved, shaved shaved or shav·en , shav·ing, shaves verb, transitive
- a. To remove the beard or other body hair from, with a razor or shaver: The barber lathered his face and then shaved him.b. To cut (the beard, for example) at the surface of the skin with a razor or shaver.
- To crop, trim, or mow closely: shave a meadow.
- a. To remove thin slices from: shave a board.b. To cut or scrape into thin slices; shred: shave chocolate.
- To come close to or graze in passing. See Synonyms at brush1.
- To limit the number of (points) scored by one's own team in an athletic contest by point-shaving.
- a. To purchase (a note) at a reduction greater than the legal or customary rate.b. To cut (a price) by a slight margin.
- The act, process, or result of shaving.
- A thin slice or scraping; a shaving.
- Any of various tools used for shaving.
Origin: Middle English shaven, to scrape, from Old English sceafan.