The definition of a portion is part of something.noun
An example of portion is half of a sandwich.
Portion is defined as to divide into parts.verb
An example of to portion is cutting a sandwich in half.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a part or limited quantity of anything, esp. that allotted to a person; share
- the part of an estate received by an heir
- the part of a man's money or property contributed by his bride; dowry
- the part of experience supposedly allotted to a person by fate; one's lot; destiny
- the part of a meal or quantity of food served to a person; serving; helping
Origin: OFr < L portio (gen. portionis), portion < *partio < pars, part
- to divide into portions
- to give as a portion to; apportion
- to give a portion to; endow; dower
Origin: OFr portionner, to divide, separate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A section or quantity within a larger thing; a part of a whole.
- A part separated from a whole.
- A part that is allotted to a person or group, as:a. A helping of food.b. The part of an estate received by an heir.c. A woman's dowry.
- A person's lot or fate.
- To divide into parts or shares for distribution; parcel.
- To provide with a share, inheritance, or dowry.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin portiō, portiōn-; see perə-2 in Indo-European roots.
- porˈtion·a·ble adjective
- porˈtion·er noun
- porˈtion·less adjective