A portion of a sandwich.
- The definition of a portion is part of something.
An example of portion is half of a sandwich.
- Portion is defined as to divide into parts.
An example of to portion is cutting a sandwich in half.
- a part or limited quantity of anything, esp. that allotted to a person; share
- the part of an estate received by an heir
- the part of a man's money or property contributed by his bride; dowry
- the part of experience supposedly allotted to a person by fate; one's lot; destiny
- the part of a meal or quantity of food served to a person; serving; helping
Origin of portionOld French ; from Classical Latin portio (gen. portionis), portion ; from an unverified form partio ; from pars, part
Origin of portionOFr portionner, to divide, separate
- A section or quantity within a larger thing; a part of a whole.
- A part separated from a whole.
- A part that is allotted to a person or group, as:a. A helping of food.b. The part of an estate received by an heir.c. A woman's dowry: marriage portion.
- A person's lot or fate.
transitive verbpor·tioned, por·tion·ing, por·tions
- To divide into parts or shares for distribution; parcel.
- To provide with a share, inheritance, or dowry.
Origin of portionMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin porti&omacron;, porti&omacron;n-; see per&schwa;-2 in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present portions, present participle portioning, simple past and past participle portioned)