Percentage is a measure of a portion in relation to a whole, often expressed in relation to how many of something there are per 100.noun
When a group has half girls and half boys, this is an example of a situation where the percentage of boys in the group is equal to 50 percent.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a given part or amount in every hundred
- any number or amount, as of interest, tax, etc., stated in percent
- part; portion; share: a percentage of the audience
- ☆ Informal
- use; advantage; profit: no percentage in worrying
- a risk based on favorable odds
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A fraction or ratio with 100 understood as the denominator; for example, 0.98 equals a percentage of 98.b. The result obtained by multiplying a quantity by a percent.
- A proportion or share in relation to a whole; a part: The hecklers constituted only a small percentage of the audience.
- An amount, such as an allowance, duty, or commission, that varies in proportion to a larger sum, such as total sales: work for a percentage.
- Informal Advantage; gain: There is no percentage in work without pay.