- Profit is a benefit or gain, usually monetary.
An example of profit is the money a business has left after paying their expenses.
- advantage; gain; benefit
- monetary gain from business transactions
- the ratio of this to the amount of capital invested
- proceeds from property or investments
- the sum remaining after all costs, direct and indirect, are deducted from the income of a business, the selling price, etc.
Origin of profitOld French ; from Classical Latin profectus, past participle of proficere, to profit, literally , to advance: see proficient
- to be of advantage or benefit
- to reap an advantage, financial or otherwise; benefit
- An advantageous gain or return; benefit.
- Financial gain from a transaction or from a period of investment or business activity, usually calculated as income in excess of costs or as the final value of an asset in excess of its initial value.
verbprof·it·ed, prof·it·ing, prof·its
- To make a gain or profit.
- To derive advantage; benefit: profiting from the other team's mistakes.
Origin of profitMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin prōfectus, from past participle of prōficere, make progress, to profit : prō-, forward; see pro–1 + facere, to make; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.
- Total income or cash flow minus expenditures. The money or other benefit a non-governmental organization or individual receives in exchange for products and services sold at an advertised price.
- (dated, literary) Benefit, positive result obtained.
- Reading such an enlightening book on the subject was of much profit to his studies.
- (law) In property law, a nonpossessory interest in land whereby a party is entitled to enter the land of another for the purpose of taking the soil or the substance of the soil (coal, oil, minerals, and in some jurisdictions timber and game).
(third-person singular simple present profits, present participle profiting, simple past and past participle profited)
profit - Investment & Finance Definition
Income minus expenses, if income is greater than expenses. Profit also may be called net income in an informal sense. When looking at trading activity, profit occurs when the sale price of an investment is greater than the purchase price.
profit - Legal Definition