- In sports, an assist is defined as a play that aids another player or results in another player scoring a goal.
An example of an assist is a block by a basketball player that enables his teammate to score.
- The definition of an assist is something a person may do to be helpful.
An example of an assist is when someone helps another person clean her house.
- To assist is defined as to give help.
When you help your neighbor bring in her groceries, this is an example of assist.
assist definition by Webster's New World
- to give help to; aid
- to work with as a helper or assistant
Origin: Middle English assisten ; from Old French assister ; from Classical Latin assistere ; from ad-, to plush sistere, to make stand ; from stare, to stand
- an instance or act of helping
- Baseball the act of a player who throws or deflects a batted ball in such a way that a teammate can make a putout
- Basketball, Ice Hockey the act of a player who passes the ball or puck in such a way that a teammate scores
assist definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb as·sist·ed, as·sist·ing, as·sists verb, transitive
- To give aid or support. See Synonyms at help.
- To be present, as at a conference.
- An act of giving aid; help.
- Sports a. A fielding and throwing of a baseball in such a way that enables a teammate to put out a runner.b. A pass, as in basketball or ice hockey, that enables the receiver to score a goal.c. Official credit that is given for such a pass.
- A mechanical device providing aid.
Origin: Middle English assisten, from Old French assister, from Latin assistere : ad-, ad- + sistere, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots.
- as·sistˈer noun
assist - Phrases/Idioms