- The definition of a hindrance is an obstacle or something that inhibits or delays some desired action.
An example of a hindrance is a road block preventing you from getting where you need to go.
- the act of hindering
- any person or thing that hinders; obstacle; impediment; obstruction
Origin of hindranceMiddle English hinderaunce
- a. The act of hindering: was angered by their hindrance of the project.b. The condition of being hindered.
- Something that hinders; an impediment.
Origin of hindranceMiddle English hindraunce, harm, from hindren, to hinder; see hinder 1.
- Something which hinders: something that holds back or causes problems with something else.
- High-heeled shoes may be fashionable, but they can also be a hindrance to walking.
- The state or act of hindering something
- Your hindrance of this process will not be tolerated.