- The definition of an impediment is an obstacle or something that prevents action.
An example of impediment is a rain storm for a ball game.
An impediment to this cars' movement is this wheel clamp.
impediment definition by Webster's New World
- Now Rare an impeding or being impeded; obstruction
- anything that impedes; specif.,
- a speech defect; stutter, lisp, stammer, etc.
- anything preventing the making of a legal contract, esp. of a marriage contract
- R.C.Ch. anything making marriage or ordination invalid or illicit
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin impedimentum, hindrance
impediment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Something that impedes; a hindrance or obstruction. See Synonyms at obstacle.
- An organic defect preventing clear articulation: a speech impediment.
- Law Something that obstructs the making of a legal contract.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin impedīmentum, from impedīre, to impede; see impede.
- im·pedˌi·menˈtal , im·pedˌi·menˈta·ry adjective
impediment - Medical Definition
- Something that impedes; a hindrance or an obstruction.
- An organic defect preventing clear articulation of speech.