The definition of an inhibition is something that holds you back or restrains you from doing or thinking something.
When you are concerned about your body and don't want to wear a swimsuit or go to the beach, your concern is an example of your inhibition.
- an inhibiting or being inhibited
- anything that inhibits, esp., a mental or psychological process that restrains or suppresses an action, emotion, or thought
Origin of inhibitionMiddle English inhibicion from Old French from Classical Latin inhibitio
- The act of inhibiting or the state of being inhibited.
- Something that restrains, blocks, or suppresses.
- Psychology Conscious or unconscious restraint of a behavioral process, desire, or impulse.
- a. Chemistry The condition in which or the process by which a reaction is inhibited.b. Biology The condition in which or the process by which an enzyme, for example, is inhibited.
From Old French inibicion, from Latin inhibitio