When you are concerned about your body and don't want to wear a swimsuit or go to the beach, your concern is an example of your inhibition.
- an inhibiting or being inhibited
- anything that inhibits, esp., a mental or psychological process that restrains or suppresses an action, emotion, or thought
Origin of inhibitionMiddle English inhibicion ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin inhibitio
- The act of inhibiting or the state of being inhibited.
- Something that restrains, blocks, or suppresses.
- Psychology Conscious or unconscious restraint of a behavioral process, desire, or impulse.
- a. Chemistry The condition in which or the process by which a reaction is inhibited.b. Biology The condition in which or the process by which an enzyme, for example, is inhibited.
From Old French inibicion, from Latin inhibitio