A group of people clasping hands in mutual encouragement.
- Encouragement is defined as an expression of support or approval, or is words or actions that assist or inspire someone or something.
When you praise a child and encourage him to keep trying, this is an example of encouragement.
- an encouraging or being encouraged
- something that encourages
- The act of encouraging.
- The state of being encouraged.
- One that encourages.
- The act of encouraging; incitement to action or to practice; as, the encouragement of youth in generosity.
- All generous encouragement of arts. -Otway.
- That which serves to incite, support, promote or advance, as favor, countenance, reward etc.; incentive; increase of confidence; as, the fine arts find little encouragement among a rude people.
- To think of his paternal care, Is a most sweet encouragement to prayer. -Byron.
From Middle French encoragement, from Old French encoragier + -ment, from en- (“make, put in”) + corage (“courage”), from Vulgar Latin *coraticum, from cor (“heart, daring”) + -ier, suffixed with -ment.