- treatment of bodily pain or injury by the application of warm, moist substances, as in a lotion or compress
- a lotion, compress, etc. so applied
- a stirring up of trouble; incitement
Origin of fomentationMiddle English fomentacioun ; from Late Latin fomentatio ; from Classical Latin fomentum: see foment
- The act of fomenting; incitement.
- a. A substance or material used as a warm, moist medicinal compress; a poultice.b. The therapeutic application of warmth and moisture, as to relieve pain.