- Encourage is defined as to give someone hope, confidence or support.
- An example of encourage is telling someone everything is going to be okay.
- An example of encourage is telling a singer they have an amazing voice.
A woman is encouraged by her friend.
encourage definition by Webster's New World
encourage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb en·cour·aged, en·cour·ag·ing, en·cour·ag·es
- To inspire with hope, courage, or confidence; hearten.
- To give support to; foster: policies designed to encourage private investment.
- To stimulate; spur: burning the field to encourage new plant growth.
Origin: Middle English encouragen, from Old French encoragier : en-, causative pref.; see en-1 + corage, courage; see courage.
- en·courˈag·er noun