- The definition of derision is a feeling of deep hatred.
An example of derision is the feeling opposing street gangs have for each other.
- a deriding or being derided; contempt or ridicule
- Rare a person or thing derided
Origin of derisionMiddle English ; from Late Latin derisio ; from derisus, past participle of deridere
- The act of ridiculing or laughing at someone or something.
- A state of being derided: Members of the board held the proposal in derision.
Origin of derisionMiddle English derisioun, from Anglo-Norman, from Late Latin dērīsiō, dērīsiōn-, from Latin dērīsus, past participle of dērīdēre, to deride; see deride.
- Act of treating with disdain.