- The definition of deterrent is acting to stop or prevent.
An example of deterrent used as an adjective is a deterrent weapon which means a weapon which is designed to stop other weapons from being fired or from being accurate.
- Deterrent is defined as something that prevents or blocks.
An example of a deterrent is heavy traffic that keeps the traveler from quickly getting to their destination.
Origin of deterrentClassical Latin deterrens, present participle of deterrere: see deter
- Something that deters: a deterrent to theft.
- A retaliatory means of discouraging enemy attack: a nuclear deterrent.
(comparative more deterrent, superlative most deterrent)
- Serving to deter, preventing something from happening
- Something that deters.
Latin deterrens, present participle of deterrere.