The definition of approval is accepting something or permitting something.
When a woman has her parents’ blessing to get married, their agreement with the wedding is an example of approval.
- the act of approving
- favorable attitude or opinion
- formal consent or sanction
- Philately stamps sent on request by mail to potential buyers
for the customer to examine and decide whether to buy or return
- The act or an instance of approving.
- An official approbation; a sanction.
- Favorable regard; commendation.
- An expression granting permission; an indication of agreement with a proposal; an acknowledgement that a person, thing, or event meets requirements.
- I need to get an approval on this purchase order.
- An expression of favorable acceptance and encouragement; a compliment that also condones.
- Words of approval never seem to come from him.
- (chiefly philately) Something mailed by a seller to a collector to match his stated interests; he can approve of or return the item.
approve + -al