- The definition of an assent is a situation in which an agreement or acquiescence has occurred.
- An example of an assent is when two parties are able to sign paperwork after mediation.
- An example of an assent is when a parent gives in to a child's crying and gives her what she wants.
- To assent is defined as to acknowledge something, agree to something or surrender to something.
- An example of a situation in which a parent may assent is when her child continues to whine for candy.
- An example of assent is when you nod your head in response to a request.
Origin of assentMiddle English assenten from Old French assenter from Classical Latin assentari from assentire from ad-, to + sentire, to feel: see send
intransitive verbas·sent·ed, as·sent·ing, as·sents
- Agreement; concurrence: reached assent on a course of action.
- Acquiescence; consent: gave my assent to the plan.
Origin of assentMiddle English assenten from Old French assentir from Latin assentārī ad- ad- sentīre to feel ; see sent- in Indo-European roots.
- as·sent′er as·sen′tor
(third-person singular simple present assents, present participle assenting, simple past and past participle assented)
- agreement, act of agreeing
- I will give this act my assent.
Old French noun assent and verb assentir