- To disagree is defined as to have a different opinion, to express disapproval or to be inconsistent with other statements.
- When you do not believe that a statement is true, this is an example of a time when you disagree with the statement.
- When your friend says yes and you say no, this is an example of a time when you disagree.
- When a study identifies a different result than previous studies, this is an example of a time when the studies disagree.
disagree definition by Webster's New World
- to fail to agree; be different; differ
- to differ in opinion; often, specif., to quarrel or dispute
- to be harmful or give distress or discomfort: followed by with: apples disagree with me
Origin: Late Middle English disagre ; from Old French desagreer: see dis- and amp; agree
disagree definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb dis·a·greed, dis·a·gree·ing, dis·a·grees
- To fail to correspond: our figures disagree. See Synonyms at differ.
- a. To have a differing opinion: She disagrees with him on everything. They say it will rain, but I disagree.b. To dispute or quarrel.
- To cause adverse effects: Caffeine disagrees with me.
Origin: Middle English disagreen, from Old French desagreer : des-, dis- + agreer, to agree; see agree.