- Discord is defined as lack of agreement or lack of harmony.
- An example of discord is when a singer tries to sing along with a piano that is out of tune and is not hitting the same notes.
- An example of discord is when people from opposing parties get together and discuss politics.
- lack of concord; disagreement; dissension; conflict
- a harsh or confused noise, as the sound of battle; clash; din
- Music a lack of harmony in tones sounded together; inharmonious combination of tones; dissonance
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French descorde ; from Classical Latin discordia ; from discors (gen. discordis), discordant ; from dis-, apart plush cor, heart
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Lack of agreement among persons, groups, or things.b. Tension or strife resulting from a lack of agreement; dissension.
- A confused or harsh sound or mingling of sounds.
- Music An inharmonious combination of simultaneously sounded tones; a dissonance.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French descorde, from Latin discordia, from discors, discord-, disagreeing : dis-, apart; see dis- + cor, cord-, heart; see kerd- in Indo-European roots.