- Harmony is defined as agreement, or is defined as a mix of pleasing musical notes that go together.
- An example of harmony is when two people live together and don't fight.
- An example of harmony is when two people sing contrasting parts of a duet that go together perfectly.
- a combination of parts into a pleasing or orderly whole; congruity
- agreement in feeling, action, ideas, interests, etc.; peaceable or friendly relations
- a state of agreement or orderly arrangement according to color, size, shape, etc.
- an arrangement of parallel passages of different authors, esp. of the Scriptures, so as to bring out corresponding ideas, qualities, etc.
- agreeable sounds; music
- the simultaneous sounding of two or more tones, esp. when satisfying to the ear
- structure in terms of the arrangement, modulation, etc. of chords
- the study of this structure
Origin: Middle English armony from Old French harmonie from Classical Latin harmonia from Glassical Greek from harmos, a fitting from Indo-European base an unverified form ar- from source art, arm
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. har·mo·nies
- Agreement in feeling or opinion; accord: live in harmony.
- A pleasing combination of elements in a whole: color harmony; the order and harmony of the universe. See Synonyms at proportion.
- Music a. The study of the structure, progression, and relation of chords.b. Simultaneous combination of notes in a chord.c. The structure of a work or passage as considered from the point of view of its chordal characteristics and relationships.d. A combination of sounds considered pleasing to the ear.
- A collation of parallel passages, especially from the Gospels, with a commentary demonstrating their consonance and explaining their discrepancies.
Origin: Middle English armonie, from Old French, from Latin harmonia, from Greek harmoniā, articulation, agreement, harmony, from harmos, joint; see ar- in Indo-European roots.
harmony - Cultural Definition
The sounding of two or more musical notes at the same time in a way that is pleasant or desired. Harmony, melody, and rhythm are elements of music.