- The definition of contention is a struggle, dispute or something that someone argues about.
An example of contention is two people debating about abortion rights.
contention definition by Webster's New World
- the act of contending; strife, struggle, controversy, dispute, quarrel, etc.
- a statement or point that one argues for as true or valid
Origin: Middle English contencioun ; from Old French contention ; from Classical Latin contentio ; from past participle of contendere: see contend
contention definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or an instance of striving in controversy or debate. See Synonyms at discord.
- A striving to win in competition; rivalry: The teams met in fierce contention for first place.
- An assertion put forward in argument.
Origin: Middle English contencioun, from Old French contention, from Latin contentiō, contentiōn-, from contentus, past participle of contendere, to contend; see contend.
contention - Computer Definition
contention - Phrases/Idioms
in (or out of) contention