- An example of contentious is a person who always likes to argue.
- An example of contentious is a tense situation that is likely to lead to arguments.
- always ready to argue; quarrelsome
- of or marked by contention
- provoking or likely to provoke controversy: a contentious proposal
Origin of contentiousMiddle English contencios ; from Classical Latin contentiosus: see contention
- Given to contention; quarrelsome. See Synonyms at argumentative.
- Involving or causing contention; controversial: “a central and contentious element of the book” (Tim W. Ferguson).
(comparative more contentious, superlative most contentious)