- The definition of contentious is someone who is argumentative or a situation where there is discord.
- An example of contentious is a person who always likes to argue.
- An example of contentious is a tense situation that is likely to lead to arguments.
contentious definition by Webster's New World
- always ready to argue; quarrelsome
- of or marked by contention
- provoking or likely to provoke controversy: a contentious proposal
Origin: Middle English contencios ; from Classical Latin contentiosus: see contention
contentious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Given to contention; quarrelsome. See Synonyms at argumentative, belligerent.
- Involving or likely to cause contention; controversial: “a central and contentious element of the book” (Tim W. Ferguson).
- con·tenˈtious·ly adverb
- con·tenˈtious·ness noun