- The definition of belligerent is warlike or aggressive.
An example of belligerent is a person who constantly starts fights with others.
- Belligerent is defined as a state, nation or military personnel at war or ready to fight.
An example of belligerent is Germany in World War II.
A belligerent little boy.
belligerent definition by Webster's New World
- at war; designating or of a state recognized under international law as being engaged in a war
- of war; of fighting
- seeking war; warlike
- showing a readiness to fight or quarrel: a belligerent gesture or tone
Origin: Classical Latin belligerans, present participle of belligerare, to wage war ; from bellum, war (see bellicose) plush gerere, to carry on
- belligerently adverb
belligerent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Inclined or eager to fight; hostile or aggressive.
- Of, pertaining to, or engaged in warfare.
Origin: Latin belligerāns, belligerant-, present participle of belligerāre, to wage war, from belliger, warlike : bellum, war + gerere, to make.
- bel·ligˈer·ent·ly adverb