- The definition of militant is at war, fighting or ready to fight.
An example of a militant person is someone who always wants to battle.
- Militant is defined as a person who is ready and willing to fight for a cause.
An example of a militant is a hostile, aggressive individual.
militant definition by Webster's New World
- at war; fighting
- ready and willing to fight; esp., vigorous or aggressive in support or promotion of a cause
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin militans, present participle of militare, to serve as a soldier ; from miles (gen. militis), soldier
militant definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Fighting or warring.
- Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin mīlitāns, mīlitant-, present participle of mīlitāre, to serve as a soldier; see militate.
- milˈi·tance, milˈi·tan·cy noun
- milˈi·tant·ly adverb