The definition of tolerant is a person who understands and accepts the different ideals and beliefs of others.
An example of tolerant is three best friends who are Jewish, Christian and Muslim.
- having or showing tolerance of others' beliefs, practices, etc.
- Med. of or having tolerance
Origin of tolerantClassical Latin tolerans, present participle : see tolerate
- Inclined to tolerate the beliefs or behavior of others; forbearing: a tolerant attitude.
- Able to withstand or endure an adverse environmental condition: plants tolerant of extreme heat.
- Able to digest or metabolize a food, drug, or other substance or compound: people who are lactose tolerant.
Origin of tolerantFrench tolérant from Latin tolerāns present participle of tolerāre to bear ; see tolerate .
(comparative more tolerant, superlative most tolerant)