The definition of permissive is tolerant of something, often something of which others would disapprove.adjective
An example of permissive is a parent who allows her child to have a cell phone at the age of four.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- giving permission; that permits
- allowing freedom; esp., tolerant of behavior or practices disapproved of by others; indulgent; lenient
- Archaic allowable and at one's option
Origin: ME < MFr permissif < ML permissivus < pp. of L permittere
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Granting or inclined to grant permission; tolerant or lenient.
- Permitting discretion; optional.
- Archaic Not forbidden; permitted.
- per·misˈsive·ly adverb
- per·misˈsive·ness noun