- The definition of permissive is tolerant of something, often something of which others would disapprove.
An example of permissive is a parent who allows her child to have a cell phone at the age of four.
permissive definition by Webster's New World
- giving permission; that permits
- allowing freedom; esp., tolerant of behavior or practices disapproved of by others; indulgent; lenient
- Archaic allowable and at one's option
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French permissif ; from Midieval Latin permissivus ; from past participle of Classical Latin permittere
permissive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Granting or inclined to grant permission; tolerant or lenient.
- Permitting discretion; optional.
- Archaic Not forbidden; permitted.
- per·misˈsive·ly adverb
- per·misˈsive·ness noun