- A grumpy person at your work who gets mad at every single idea or suggestion people make and who doesn't like anyone except people who are just like him is an example of someone who would be described as intolerant.
- A person who is allergic to milk is an example of someone who would be described as lactose intolerant.
The definition of intolerant is someone who is unwilling to accept differences in opinions or other ideas, or someone who is unable to handle something.
- not tolerant; unwilling to tolerate others' opinions, beliefs, etc. or persons of other races, background, etc.; bigoted; illiberal
- unable to digest normally (a particular food, food additive, etc.): often in comb.: lactose-intolerant
Origin of intolerantClassical Latin intolerans
not able or willing to tolerate
Not tolerant, especially:
a. Unwilling to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, especially religious beliefs.
b. Opposed to the inclusion or participation of those different from oneself, especially those of a different racial, ethnic, or social background.
c. Unable or unwilling to endure or support: intolerant of interruptions; a community intolerant of crime.
(comparative more intolerant, superlative most intolerant)
- Unable or indisposed to tolerate, endure or bear.
- I am lactose-intolerant, so I can't drink milk.
- Not tolerant; close-minded about new or different ideas. indisposed to tolerate contrary opinions or beliefs; impatient of dissent or opposition; denying or refusing the right of private opinion or choice in others; inclined to persecute or suppress dissent.
- One who is intolerant; a bigot.
OriginSee also: intolérant
From French intolérant