sectarian[sek ter′ē ən]
- The definition of sectarian is a person or thing that is part of or relates to a sect.
An example of a sectarian person is a grandmother going to Christian services at the same church every Sunday.
- Sectarian is defined as a narrow-minded person.
An example of a sectarian person is someone who isn't willing to listen to opinions that differ from theirs.
An example of sectarian is this woman welcoming you to her church.
- of or characteristic of a sect
- devoted to, or prejudiced in favor of, some sect
- narrow-minded; limited; parochial
Origin of sectarian; from sectary + -an
- Obsolete an apostate from an established church
- a member of any religious sect
- a person who is blindly and narrow-mindedly devoted to a sect
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a sect.
- Adhering or confined to the dogmatic limits of a sect or denomination; partisan.
- Narrow-minded; parochial.
- A member of a sect.
- One characterized by bigoted adherence to a factional viewpoint.
(comparative more sectarian, superlative most sectarian)