- The definition of parochial is something related to a church or someone who has a narrow or simplistic view on life.
- An example of parochial is the type of education received from a catholic school.
- An example of parochial is someone who has never been outside of his town and who adheres strictly to his small town values and religious values.
parochial definition by Webster's New World
- of or in a parish or parishes
- restricted to a small area or scope; narrow; limited; provincial: a parochial outlook
Origin: Middle English parochiele ; from Old French parochial ; from Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin parochialis ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin parochia: see parish
parochial definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, supported by, or located in a parish.
- Of or relating to parochial schools.
- Narrowly restricted in scope or outlook; provincial: parochial attitudes.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin parochiālis, from parochia, diocese; see parish.
- pa·roˈchi·al·ism noun
- pa·roˈchi·al·ist noun
- pa·roˈchi·al·ly adverb