- The definition of cosmopolitan is something that is common to most parts of the world or a person who feels at home all over the world.
An example of cosmopolitan is a person who travels the world free of prejudices and with an open mind.
- Cosmopolitan is defined as a person who is at home all over the world, or a type of alcoholic beverage made with vodka, lime juice, cranberry juice and orange flavored liqueur.
- An example of cosmopolitan is a frequent international traveler compared to someone who has never visited any place.
- An example of cosmopolitan is a popular girls' night drink.
- common to or representative of all or many parts of the world; not national or local
- not bound by local or national habits or prejudices; at home in all countries or places
- characterized by worldly sophistication; fashionable, urbane, etc.
- having a worldwide distribution, as some plants or animals
Origin of cosmopolitanfrom cosmopolite + -an
- a cosmopolitan person or thing; cosmopolite
- [alsoC-] a cocktail made of vodka, cranberry and lime juices, and orange liqueur, served in a martini glass
- Pertinent or common to the whole world: an issue of cosmopolitan import.
- Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world: the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt.
- So sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world or conversant with many spheres of interest: a cosmopolitan traveler.
- Ecology Growing or occurring in many parts of the world; widely distributed.
- A cosmopolitan person or organism; a cosmopolite.
- A cocktail made of vodka, orange liqueur, cranberry juice, and lime juice. Also called cosmo .
(comparative more cosmopolitan, superlative most cosmopolitan)
From cosmopolite + -an.