- The definition of universal is relating to or affecting all.
An example of universal used as an adjective is a universal curfew for a town which means that all members of that town must be home by a certain time.
universal definition by Webster's New World
- of the universe; present or occurring everywhere or in all things
- of, for, affecting, or including all or the whole of something specified; not limited or restricted
- Obsolete being, or regarded as, a complete whole; entire; whole
- broad in knowledge, interests, ability, etc.
- that can be used for a great many or all kinds, forms, sizes, etc.; highly adaptable: a universal voltage regulator
- used, intended to be used, or understood by all
- Logic not restricted or particular in application; predicating something of every member of a specified class
Origin: Middle English universel ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin universalis ; from universus: see universe
- universal joint
- a universal proposition
- predicable ()
- a general term or concept, or that which such a term or concept covers
- Philos. a metaphysical entity characterized by repeatability and unchanging nature through a series of changing relations, as substance
- universalness noun
universal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, extending to, or affecting the entire world or all within the world; worldwide: “This discovery of literature has as yet only partially penetrated the universal consciousness” (Ellen Key).
- Including, relating to, or affecting all members of the class or group under consideration: the universal skepticism of philosophers. See Synonyms at general.
- Applicable or common to all purposes, conditions, or situations: a universal remedy.
- Of or relating to the universe or cosmos; cosmic.
- Knowledgeable about or constituting all or many subjects; comprehensively broad.
- Adapted or adjustable to many sizes or mechanical uses.
- Logic Encompassing all of the members of a class or group. Used of a proposition.
- Logic a. A universal proposition.b. A general or abstract concept or term considered absolute or axiomatic.
- A general or widely held principle, concept, or notion.
- A trait or pattern of behavior characteristic of all the members of a particular culture or of all humans.
- uˌni·verˈsal·ly adverb
- uˌni·verˈsal·ness noun