- The definition of local is relating to a particular space or place or serving only a small portion of something.
- An example of local used as an adjective is a local mall which means the mall nearby where someone lives.
- An example of local used as an adjective is local government meaning the government that serves a town or a few towns.
- Local is defined as a person or thing belonging to a specific town or area.
An example of a local is a person born and raised in the town where she attends college.
- relating to place
- of, characteristic of, or confined to a particular place or district: items of local interest
- not broad; restricted; narrow: local outlook
- of or for a particular part or specific area of the body; not general
- ⌂ making all stops along its run: a local bus
- Comput. occurring or located on-site
- Chiefly Brit. of or relating to specific portions or details of a literary text, as distinguished from its overall structure, themes, style, etc.
Origin of localMiddle English locall ; from Old French local ; from Late Latin localis ; from Classical Latin locus, a place ; from Indo-European an unverified form stlokos ; from base an unverified form stel-, to set up, stand, location from source stalk, stall, still, Classical Greek stellein, to put
- ⌂ a local train, bus, etc.
- ⌂ a newspaper item of local interest only
- ⌂ a chapter or branch of a labor union
- Informal a resident of a particular place: the town locals are friendly enough
- Brit., Informal a neighborhood pub
- an anesthetic that numbs only a small area of the body, allowing the patient to remain conscious during minor surgery, a biopsy, etc.in full local anesthetic
- a. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a particular place: a local custom; the local slang.b. Of or relating to a city, town, or district rather than a larger area: state and local government.
- Not broad or general; not widespread: local outbreaks of flu.
- Of or affecting a specific part of the body: a local infection.
- Making all possible or scheduled stops on a route; not express: a local train.
- A public conveyance that makes several intermediate stops before the final destination is reached: changed trains to a local.
- A local chapter or branch of an organization, especially of a labor union.
- A local anesthetic.
- Informal A person from a particular locality.
Origin of localMiddle English, from Old French, from Late Latin loc&amacron;lis, from Latin locus, place.
(comparative more local, superlative most local)
- From or in a nearby location.
- We prefer local produce.
- (computing, of a variable or identifier) Having limited scope (either lexical or dynamic); only being accessible within a certain portion of a program.
- (mathematics, not comparable, of a condition or state) Applying to each point in a space rather than the space as a whole.
- (medicine) Of or pertaining to a restricted part of an organism.
- The patient didn't want to be sedated, so we applied only local anesthesia.
- Descended from an indigenous population.
- Hawaiian Pidgin is spoken by the local population.
- A person who lives nearby.
- It's easy to tell the locals from the tourists.
- A branch of a nationwide organization such as a trade union.
- I'm in the TWU, too. Local 6.
- (rail transport) A train that stops at all, or almost all, stations between its origin and destination, including very small ones.
- The expresses skipped my station, so I had to take a local.
- (UK) One's nearest or regularly frequented public house or bar.
- I got barred from my local, so I've started going all the way into town for a drink.
- (programming) A locally scoped identifier.
- Functional programming languages usually don't allow changing the immediate value of locals once they've been initialized, unless they're explicitly marked as being mutable.
- (US, slang, journalism) An item of news relating to the place where the newspaper is published.
(comparative more lo-cal, superlative most lo-cal)
- (informal) (of food or drink) That contains fewer calories than normal
local - Computer Definition
local - Investment & Finance Definition
A floor trader on an options or futures exchange who trades contracts for his or her own account. Locals help to provide liquidity to the markets by being present to either buy or sell securities.