- An example of sophisticated is a jet-setting celebrity who is considered smart and worldly.
- An example of sophisticated is technology like the personal computer.
The definition of sophisticated is someone that is intelligently worldly and smart or advanced processes or technology.
- not simple, artless, naive, etc.; urbane, worldly-wise, etc. or knowledgeable, perceptive, subtle, etc.
- designed for or appealing to sophisticated people
- highly complex, refined, or developed; characterized by advanced form, technique, etc.: sophisticated equipment
- Having or showing much worldly knowledge or cultural refinement: a sophisticated businesswoman who is unlikely to be outmaneuvered; a sophisticated appraisal of the movie.
- Very complex or complicated: the latest and most sophisticated technology.
- Suitable for or appealing to the tastes of sophisticates: a sophisticated drama.
(comparative more sophisticated, superlative most sophisticated)
- Simple past tense and past participle of sophisticate.
First English usage circa 1601. Medieval Latin sophisticatus.