advanced[ad vanst′, əd-]
- Advanced is defined as ahead, forward or further along.
A 10 year old who is in high school is an example of someone who is advanced.
- The definition of advanced means to have moved forward.
An example of advanced is a team who moved from fifth to first place.
- in advance; moved forward; in front
- far on in life; old
- ahead or beyond others in progress, complexity, etc.: advanced studies
- higher than usual: advanced prices
- Highly developed or complex.
- Being at a higher level than others: an advanced text in physics.
- Ahead of the times; progressive: advanced teaching methods.
- Far along in course or time: an advanced stage of illness; a person of advanced age.
- Simple past tense and past participle of advance.
(comparative more advanced, superlative most advanced)
- At or close to the state of the art.
- Having moved forward in time or space (e.g. advanced ignition timing).
- In a late stage of development; greatly developed beyond an initial stage.
- (phonetics) Pronounced farther to the front of the vocal tract.
Variant of advance
transitive verbadvanced, advancing
- to bring forward; move forward: to advance a chessman
- to raise in rank, importance, etc.; promote
- to help or hasten the success or completion of; further: to advance a project
- to put forward; propose
- to bring closer to the present; specif.,
- to cause (a future event) to happen earlier
- to assign a later date to (a past event)
- to raise the rate of; increase: to advance prices
- to pay (money) before due
- to lend
Origin of advanceMiddle English avancen ; from Old French avancer, to forward ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form abantiare ; from Classical Latin ab-, from + ante, before: spelling, spelled ad- by associated, association with Classical Latin ad, to, forward
- to go forward; move ahead
- to make progress; improve; develop
- to rise in rank, importance, etc.
- to rise in price or cost; increase
- a moving forward
- an improvement; progress: new advances in science
- a rise in value or cost
- approaches to get favor, become acquainted, etc.; overtures (to someone)
- a payment made before due, as of wages
- a loan
- in front: advance guard
- beforehand; ahead of time: advance information
- in front
- before due; ahead of time