withdrawing within oneself; shy, reserved, introverted, etc.
Past participle of withdraw.
Emotionally unresponsive or socially detached; introverted or aloof.
(comparative more withdrawn, superlative most withdrawn)
- Past participle of withdraw
Variant of withdraw
transitive verbwithdrew, withdrawn, withdrawing
- to take back or draw back; remove
- to remove from use, consideration, etc.
- to retract or recall (a statement, etc.)
Origin of withdrawMiddle English withdrawen: see with- and amp; draw
- to move back; go away; retreat
- to remove oneself (from an organization, activity, society, etc.)
- Psychiatry to retreat from reality, as in schizophrenia
- in parliamentary procedure, to retract a motion, statement, etc.