The depletion of a forest.
When forests get cut down, this is an example of the depletion of forests.
- a depleting or being depleted
- the gradual using up or destruction of capital assets, esp. of natural resources
- The act or process of depleting.
- The state of being depleted; exhaustion.
- The use or consumption of a resource, especially a natural resource, faster than it is replenished.
depletion - Investment & Finance Definition
An accounting method used by mining, oil, or other natural resource companies to write off natural resource assets such as oil, gas, precious metals, or minerals as they are withdrawn from the ground. Depletion functions much like depreciating a building or equipment to reflect the fact that its value decreases over time. Depletion is a non-cash expense that is deducted from revenues; it increases expenses and thus lowers net income.
depletion - Legal Definition