- To deplete is defined as to diminish or use up the supply of something.
An example of deplete is when you drive around and use up your supply of gas.
Driving will deplete the contents of your gas tank.
deplete definition by Webster's New World
- to make less by gradually using up (resources, funds, strength, etc.)
- to use up gradually the resources, strength, etc. of
- to empty wholly or partly
Origin: ; from Classical Latin depletus, past participle of deplere, to empty ; from de-, from plush plere, to fill: see full
- depletive adjective
deplete definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb de·plet·ed, de·plet·ing, de·pletes
Origin: Latin dēplēre, dēplēt-, to empty : dē-, de- + plēre, to fill; see pelə-1 in Indo-European roots.
- de·pletˈa·ble adjective
deplete - Legal Definition
deplete - Medical Definition
- To use up something, such as a nutrient.
- To empty something out, as the body of electrolytes.