- Zap is defined as a way to express a sudden change.
An example of zap used as an interjection is, "Zap! He disappeared before their eyes!"
- Zap is slang for energy.
An example of zap is the ability to run a marathon.
- Zap means to move or hit with a lot of force, or is slang for to use a remote to skip ahead on a show or tape, or is slang for cooking something quickly in the microwave.
- An example of zap is to strike a bug with a swatter.
- An example of zap is to fast forward on a DVD.
- An example of zap is to heat up potatoes in the microwave.
This food is about to be zapped in this microwave oven.
zap definition by Webster's New World
- to move, strike, stun, smash, kill, defeat, etc. suddenly and with great speed and force
- to use a remote control to avoid (a TV commercial or program segment), as by changing channels or skipping ahead on a tape, disc, etc.
- to cook or heat in a microwave oven
Origin: echoic blend ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps z(ip) and (sl)ap, popularized in comic-strip use
- to move, strike, smash, kill, control, as suddenly and with great speed and force
- to use a TV remote control, as to change channels or to skip ahead on a tape, disc, etc.: he zapped through all the stations
zap definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Slangverb zapped zapped, zap·ping, zaps verb, transitive
- a. To destroy or kill with a burst of gunfire, flame, or electric current.b. To kill or destroy as if by shooting.c. To strike suddenly and forcefully as if with a projectile or weapon: “His . . . narrative runs marvelously on and on, zapping the reader with often surprising and . . . painful glimpses” (Publishers Weekly).d. To expose to radiation; irradiate: “perfect for those who can't bring themselves to zap food in a microwave” (John F. Mariani).
- To attack (an enemy) with heavy firepower; strafe or bombard.
- To use a remote control device to switch (channels on a television) or to turn off (a television set).
- Used to imitate a sound made by a gun when fired.
- Used to indicate a sudden occurrence.
zap - Computer Definition
A command that typically deletes the data within a file but leaves the file structure intact so that new data can be entered. See wipe.