transitive verbzapped, zap′ping
- to move, strike, stun, smash, kill, defeat, etc. suddenly and with great speed and force
- to use a remote control to avoid (a TV commercial or program segment), as by changing channels or skipping ahead on a tape, disc, etc.
- to cook or heat in a microwave oven
Origin of zapechoic blend of uncertain or unknown; perhaps zip and slap, popularized in comic-strip use
- to move, strike, smash, kill, control, as suddenly and with great speed and force
- to use a TV remote control, as to change channels or to skip ahead on a tape, disc, etc.: he zapped through all the stations