- The definition of a deficiency is something that is lacking, or something that isn't sufficient or good enough.
When you do not get enough education, this is an example of something that can be seen as a deficiency when you are looking for a job.
- the quality or state of being deficient; absence of something essential; incompleteness
- pl. deficiencies
- a shortage
- the amount of shortage; deficit
Origin of deficiencyMiddle English deficience ; from Late Latin deficientia ; from Classical Latin deficiens, present participle of deficere to lack, fail ; from de-, from + facere, to do
- The quality or condition of being deficient; incompleteness or inadequacy.
- A lack or shortage, especially of something essential to health: a nutritional deficiency.
(countable and uncountable, plural deficiencies)