- The definition of deficient is a person of thing that is incomplete or lacking something needed.
An example of deficient is a person who does not have enought iron; the person is iron deficient.
deficient definition by Webster's New World
- lacking in some essential; incomplete; defective
- inadequate in amount, quality, or degree; not sufficient
Origin: Classical Latin deficiens: see deficiency
- deficiently adverb
deficient definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Lacking an essential quality or element: deficient in common sense.
- Inadequate in amount or degree; insufficient: a deficient education.
Origin: Latin dēficiēns, dēficient-, present participle of dēficere, to fail, be wanting; see defect.
- de·fiˈcient noun
- de·fiˈcient·ly adverb
deficient - Medical Definition
- Lacking an essential quality or element.
- Inadequate in amount or degree; insufficient.