deficient[dē fis̸h′ənt, di-]
- The definition of deficient is a person of thing that is incomplete or lacking something needed.
An example of deficient is a person who does not have enought iron; the person is iron deficient.
- lacking in some essential; incomplete; defective
- inadequate in amount, quality, or degree; not sufficient
Origin of deficientClassical Latin deficiens: see deficiency
- Lacking an essential quality or element: deficient in common sense.
- Inadequate in amount or degree; insufficient: a deficient education.
Origin of deficientLatin dēficiēns, dēficient-, present participle of dēficere, to fail, be wanting; see defect.
(comparative more deficient, superlative most deficient)