superfluous[sə pʉr′flo̵̅o̅ əs, so̵̅o̅-]
Adding another stuffed toy would be superfluous.
- The definition of superfluous is something that is more than needed or unnecessary.
An example of superfluous is a buying a stuffed animal for a child who already has too many stuffed animals.
- being more than is needed, useful, or wanted; surplus; excessive
- not needed; unnecessary; irrelevant: a superfluous remark
- Obsolete extravagant; prodigal
Origin of superfluousClassical Latin superfluus ; from superfluere, to overflow: see super- and amp; fluctuate
Origin of superfluousMiddle English, from Old French superflueux, from Latin superfluus, from superfluere, to overflow : super-, super- + fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European roots.
- In excess of what is required or sufficient.
- With a full rain suit, carrying an umbrella may be superfluous.