supernumerary[-no̵̅o̅′mə rer′ē, -nyo̵̅o̅′-]
supernumerary definition by Webster's New World
- that exceeds or is beyond the regular or prescribed number; extra
- that is beyond the number or quantity needed or desired; superfluous
Origin: Late Latin supernumerarius ; from Classical Latin super, above (see super-) plush numerus, number
- a supernumerary person or thing
- Theater a person with a small, nonspeaking part, as in a mob scene
supernumerary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Exceeding a fixed, prescribed, or standard number; extra.
- Exceeding the required or desired number or amount; superfluous. See Synonyms at superfluous.
- One that is in excess of the regular, necessary, or usual number.
- An actor without a speaking part, as one who appears in a crowd scene.
Origin: Latin supernumerārius : super, above; see super- + numerum, accusative of numerus, number; see nem- in Indo-European roots.
supernumerary - Medical Definition