- The state or quality of being superfluous.
- The term superfluity is more common and preferred by some speakers because it uses a suffix of the same root language as the original word.
From superfluous +"Ž -ness.
Variant of superfluous
- being more than is needed, useful, or wanted; surplus; excessive
- not needed; unnecessary; irrelevant: a superfluous remark
- Obsolete extravagant; prodigal
Origin of superfluousClassical Latin superfluus ; from superfluere, to overflow: see super- and amp; fluctuate