The consequences of the events of World War II are important.
- The definition of important is having great significance or consequence.
An example of important events are the consequences of World War II.
- meaning a great deal; having much significance, consequence, or value
- having, or acting as if having, power, authority, influence, high position, etc.
- Obsolete importunate (sense )
Origin of importantFrench ; from OIt importante ; from Medieval Latin importans, present participle of importare: see import
- Strongly affecting the course of events or the nature of things; significant: an important message that must get through; close friends who are important to me.
- Having high social rank or influence; prominent: government leaders and other important people.
- Having or suggesting a consciousness of high position or authority; authoritative: recited the decree with an important air.
- Obsolete Importunate.
Origin of importantMiddle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin importāns, important-, present participle of importāre, to mean, from Latin, to import; see import.
(comparative more important, superlative most important)
From Middle French important, from Latin importans