- The definition of important is having great significance or consequence.
An example of important events are the consequences of World War II.
The consequences of the events of World War II are important.
important definition by Webster's New World
- meaning a great deal; having much significance, consequence, or value
- having, or acting as if having, power, authority, influence, high position, etc.
- Obsolete importunate (sense )
Origin: French ; from OIt importante ; from Midieval Latin importans, present participle of importare: see import
important definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Strongly affecting the course of events or the nature of things; significant: an important message that must get through; close friends who are important to me.
- Having or suggesting a consciousness of high position or authority; authoritative: recited the decree with an important air.
- Obsolete Importunate.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin importāns, important-, present participle of importāre, to mean, from Latin, to import; see import.
- im·porˈtant·ly adverb