The definition of important is having great significance or consequence.adjective
An example of important events are the consequences of World War II.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- meaning a great deal; having much significance, consequence, or value
- having, or acting as if having, power, authority, influence, high position, etc.
- Obsolete importunate (sense )
Origin: Fr < OIt importante < ML importans, prp. of importare: see import
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Strongly affecting the course of events or the nature of things; significant: an important message that must get through; close friends who are important to me.
- Having or suggesting a consciousness of high position or authority; authoritative: recited the decree with an important air.
- Obsolete Importunate.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin importāns, important-, present participle of importāre, to mean, from Latin, to import; see import.
- im·porˈtant·ly adverb