The definition of pompous is someone who has excessive self-esteem.adjective
An example of pompous is someone who constantly talks about what they've accomplished.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- Archaic full of pomp; stately
- characterized by exaggerated stateliness; pretentious, as in speech or manner; self-important
Origin: ME < MFr pompeus < LL pomposus < L pompa: see pomp
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious: pompous officials who enjoy giving orders.
- Full of high-sounding phrases; bombastic: a pompous proclamation.
- Chracterized by pomp or stately display; ceremonious: a pompous occasion.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French pompeux, from Late Latin pompōsus, from Latin pompa, pomp; see pomp.
- pom·posˈi·ty , pomˈpous·ness noun
- pomˈpous·ly adverb