- The definition of pompous is someone who has excessive self-esteem.
An example of pompous is someone who constantly talks about what they've accomplished.
- Archaic full of pomp; stately
- characterized by exaggerated stateliness; pretentious, as in speech or manner; self-important
Origin of pompousMiddle English ; from Middle French pompeus ; from Late Latin pomposus ; from Classical Latin pompa: see pomp
- Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious: pompous officials who enjoy giving orders.
- Full of high-sounding phrases; bombastic: a pompous proclamation.
- Archaic Characterized by pomp or stately display: a pompous occasion.
Origin of pompousMiddle English, from Old French pompeux, from Late Latin pompōsus, from Latin pompa, pomp; see pomp.
- pom·pos′i·ty , pom′pous·ness
(comparative more pompous, superlative most pompous)